Sunday, July 7

One Month Post Surgery

I can't believe it has been one month since Penelope had her open heart surgery.  She is completely back to normal and good as new.  Just this past week, she has started rolling back over again.  I am sure in no time, she will be crawling.  She is still on her blood thinner, but was able to come off of the yucky diarrhetic.  She has put back on every pound she lost in the hospital and then some.  

Her scar is looking great!  I should actually say scars.  She has what I like to call, two belly buttons now.  There is a scar from the chest tube and of course a scar from the incision.  The scar was what I was most worried about and now a month later I can say I LOVE that scar.  It is a great reminder to me every day, just how lucky I am to have my baby alive and well.  I am reminded of the tender mercies of the Lord and how blessed we are to live in a time and place that has such great medical resources.  

I have already had people and kids make comments about her scar.  I know that this is just part of it.  I hope to only speak positively about her scar.  I want her to wear it with pride and be proud of all that she went through.  

“On the girl’s brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, Do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars a s beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, ‘I survived’."
― Chris Cleave, Little Bee

“The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”
― Rumi

Only two more weeks and we will be able to lift her up from under her arms.  I cannot wait for that day.  We will follow back up with the cardiologist in six months.  From there she will most likely be monitored every year, until she is an adult.  

^^^This is my absolute favorite picture, that was taken in the hospital.  I love Dr. MacDonald!^^^

We had the most generous photographer, Stephanie Ryan come and take pictures of our stay.  I cannot wait to share the rest!
 photo signature_zpsc2e4f28b.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS