Wednesday, September 8

Grapes to Raisins

On Monday morning Tyson and I woke up bright and early to go serve with our Ward and Stake in the vineyards. Tyson warned me that in California they harvest grapes every year for the church. I didn't know what to expect. At first I was a little apprehensive because I would have to give up sleeping in on Labor Day, but I knew it was the right thing to do. I was handed a pair of leather gloves, a knife, and a bucket. We all went to work. It was surprisingly fun. Our Ward had five rows. Once we complete ours we helped the other Wards finish theirs.



I was surprised how many people showed up to help. The missionaries were even there.



These grapes will soon be turned to raisins and help many of those who are in need.



It helped having my handsome hubby by my side to talk with.


It was a great morning. We toped it off with breakfast at Mimi's Cafe. It was delicious.

I am grateful for the opportunity that we had to serve. Marjorie Hinckley set such a great example on the importance of service. I love this quote of hers.

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.




I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.
I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.
I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.
I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.
I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS