Sunday, October 6

DIY Picture Ledges

Pinterest got me once again...
 I was seeing pins all over my feed of beautiful picture ledges.  I had a large blank wall going down my hallway, that was calling me to fill it with pictures.  I knew that I was too much of a perfectionist and that Tyson strongly disliked hanging things, to have the patience to hang a gallery wall.  Nailing each picture up individually, was a disaster waiting to happen.  When I stumbled upon a DIY picture ledge tutorial, I knew I had found my match.  It seemed simple enough and within budget. When I say within budget, I mean $15 per shelf.  If you were to purchase these shelves they would cost you an arm and a leg, which was something I was not willing to sacrifice.

After the chalkboards, it took me some convincing to get the hubby to tackle another project with me.  I am not that handy, so I have to recruit Tyson to be my Tim "The Toolman" Taylor, to make my ideas come to life.  The tutorial I pinned seemed easy enough, but had to alter some things to make it work with what tools we had.  It took a little more work than I had anticipated, but all the more worth the finished product. 

Materials You will Need:
(I made two shelves)

1 - 1x4 @ 8 feet long
 (back)
1- 1x3 @ 8 feet long 
(bottom)
1 - 1x2 @ 8 feet long
(front)
2 inch nails
nail gun
wood glue
sandpaper
spackling and nail hole filler
2 cans spray paint

You can customize the shelves to whatever length and width you would like.  It just so happened to be a bonus that the length I needed was 8 feet.  I knew my shelves were going to be in the hallway so I didn't want them sticking out too far.

Step One:

Sand the wood until it is smooth.


Step Two:

This is where I recruited Ty and my father-in-law.  I don't trust myself with a nail gun.  It will defiantly take two people to complete this step.  Use wood glue to help hold boards into place before you nail gun them together.  Nail the 1x4 (back) piece to the 1x3 (bottom) piece.


^^^ One person can nail, while the other person helps hold the boards in place. ^^^


Step Three:

Glue the 1x2 (front) piece to the 1x3 (bottom) piece.



^^^ Again, you will need another person to help position the wood. ^^^


^^^ Take a step back and admire your shelves. ^^^

Step Four:

Apply spackle to fill in any gaps and nail holes.  



^^^ Use your finger to spread spackle. ^^^


Step Five:

Once the spackle has dried, take your sandpaper and sand until smooth.  I repeated step four and five until there were no visible holes. 


Step Six: (Not Pictured)

Spray paint or stain your wood.  I used a white satin finish and love how it turned out.  This is a two to three day process.  I promise it is worth the wait.  I placed my boards on upside down paint buckets.  You will want to wait at least 24 hours before spraying your second coat.  Once the 24 hours has passed you can rotate your shelves and spray the bottoms. 

Step Seven:

Hang your shelves.  I again recruited some help!  Tyson marked the studs on our wall and then screwed the shelves into them.
(I didn't worry about the screw holes in the shelves, because I knew the pictures would cover them.

Find some picture frames and decorate your ledges.

Thanks to the Harlan Ranch Garage sale, I was able to find some frames for super cheap.

I enjoy walking by my shelves daily and having something on my walls, that were made out of love.   





****So you don't make the same mistakes I did, make sure all of your boards are exactly 8 feet.  Also another helpful hint would be to pay the little extra money and purchase better quality wood.  You won't have to sand as much and there shouldn't be any warping of the wood.  Essentially, you get what you pay for.  Either way, they will still turn out great.

Happy Woodworking!!!!
 photo signature_zpsc2e4f28b.png

47 comments:

  1. I seriously LOVE these!!! Turned out great. :) Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mother has 15 grandchildren and 22 (and no end in sight) great-grandchildren...the photos are so many and often change, this is a wonderful, simple and beautiful way to display her little angels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your picture wall!! How high off the ground is the bottom of the bottom ledge from the ground? I'm having a hard time deciding how high off the ground I should hang my bottom ledge. And what is the distance between the two ledges? I would really appreciate the help :) Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have scoured many websites, blogs, etc and no one seems to share this info! Was hoping there would be a reply here to guide me.

      Delete
    2. https://www.diyinspired.com/right-height-hang-shelves/

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the tutorial. I saw someone post pictures on a Facebook group about Craft rooms & Organization tips. She found picture ledges at Ikea to hold her spools of ribbon. I love the look and I figured it would be probably a little cheaper to make them myself. It was suggested I go to Pinterest to find a tutorial so I did and ta-da, here I am!

    I love that this is doable and I'm looking forward to creating shelves for my ribbon spools. (Just not so wide compared to your 8 foot length, though!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have many more photos and art work than I have wall space to hang them. This idea allows me to rotate my display without damaging the walls with excessive nail holes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have many more photos and art work than I have wall space to hang them. This idea allows me to rotate my display without damaging the walls with excessive nail holes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a long 15+ foot narrow hallway. This is the perfect idea for utilizing it!! ��

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello friends!
    You feel the wallpaper of your cell phone is boring? Want to own a unique and exciting background on your phone? I'll introduce you to the list of best cell phone wallpapers you can consider downloading to your phone.

    Wallpaper Collection:
    https://colorwallpaper.net/hacker-wallpaper/
    https://colorwallpaper.net/hulk-wallpaper/
    https://colorwallpaper.net/earth-wallpaper/
    https://colorwallpaper.net/black-wallpaper/
    https://colorwallpaper.net/white-wallpaper/
    All wallpapers are free to download. Hopefully some of our updates can bring a whole new look to the worldwide imaging market. To learn more about the latest wallpapers, you can visit the homepage: https://colorwallpaper.net/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello

    Much cheaper and easier to buy from IKEA for GBP 9 (USD12) for 1.15 metre (45 inch) length.

    https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/decoration/frames-pictures/mosslanda-picture-ledge-white-art-90292103/

    We use them all the time in our shops to display toys and books.

    Hope this helps

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  10. June 15, 2019, marks the day when Tyson Fury and Tom Schwarz will face each other. Fury will come on the screen for the first time in 2019. Fans are excited, are you? Want to Watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz Live Online? Learn how you can watch it though FastestVPN!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are many important events took place on this day due to which Muslims call the Jummah day (Jumu’ah)as a holy day
    jumma mubarak
    jumma mubarak gif
    jumma mubarak wallpapers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks a lot for giving everyone an extraordinarily memorable possiblity to read articles and blog posts from this blog. It can be so sweet and also full of fun for me personally and my office friends to search your site at a minimum 3 times weekly to read through the fresh things you have. And of course, I'm at all times contented with all the excellent opinions you serve. Some 4 ideas on this page are truly the best I have ever had.
    home & giftware

    ReplyDelete

  13. You can't believe what i just got,… A loan of $ 60,000. I have been looking for a loan for the past 2years until i was referred to a legitimate lender. Though it was not that easy to approve my loan, as you know nothing good comes easy. But I got my loan within 4 hours i got my loan, and before i knew it, the loan was transferred to me. please friends, don't let any body deceive you and scam you for this is real. Contact them via Email: gaincreditloan1@gmail.com OR You can also whatsApp them at: at +1-(901)676-0641 (WhatsApp Only)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everyone loves what you guys are up too. This type of clever work and exposure! Keep up the good works guys I've added you guys to our blogroll.
    giftware online shop

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS