Wednesday, June 12

Day 7

I am happy to report, that today was a much better day than yesterday!  Luckily there always seems to be the calm, right after the storm.  The days are starting to really mesh together here.  I am happy that I will be able to look back and read what happened each day because for right now, everything seems to be a blur.

My prayers were answered yet again.  Last night when the phlebotomist came in to draw Penelope's blood, I cringed thinking Penelope would cry in pain.  Much to my surprise, she didn't make a peep.  The phlebotomist got what she needed, on the first poke.  I couldn't have been more relieved.  

The morning started out bright and early, with me taking P for her daily x-ray.  She did perfect!  She held completely still and left her arms above her head like a good girl.  The x-ray came out terrific and showed no signs of fluid around her heart.

Dr. MacDonald came in to report that Nellie's fluid from her chest tube had significantly decreased.  He  gave us high hopes that if everything continued to go well, tomorrow they would be able to remove her chest tube.  If that were to happen, we would be out of here by Friday.  I got an instant pep in my step.  I didn't want to get my hopes up, but at least I had a gage to go off for now. 

Tyson's mom brought me a Jamaba juice and a clean change of clothes.  She also brought Penelope some clean blankets.  What a relief it is having our home and family so close to the hospital.  My sister-in-law Jana came by to visit, as well as Cascia.  She brought a bag full of taffy that was extremely tasty. 

Grandpa Parker came today on his lunch break and brought Nellie a stuffed dog that also resembled GiGi.  It is so cute and soft.  P snuggled with it all day long.  Our brother-in-law Brandon also stopped by on his lunch break.  It is always nice having visitors.  It definitely makes the days go by quicker.

My friends Gina and her cute daughter Lindee came by to visit.  They also brought Lindee's adorable daughter with them.  Our friendship developed all from good old Instagram.  They brought the sweetest gift basket full of toys for Penelope, treats for us, a wonderful book, and the most beautiful pink tulips.  Seeing them brightened our days beyond belief.  It's amazing how great people are and how they help me strive to be better, through their examples.

Tyson's cousin Stephanie and aunt Jennifer stopped by and brought P her first pillow pet and a basket full of delicious snacks.  Later on Tyson's other cousin Katie and Jake came by.  They brought bags of popcorn and Root Beer.  As more people came throughout the day, I couldn't believe how generous everyone was to our little one.  Just their smiles alone have helped lift our spirits.  Penelope has sure been spoiled, but has loved every second of it.      

Tyson's parents and sister Cara helped keep Penelope company while Tyson and I went and grabbed dinner.  It felt good to leave the hospital room.  I was starting to forget what it felt like to be outside.  Dinner was delicious but I was anxious to get back to my baby.

When we got back from dinner, Dr. MacDonald stopped by to check the output of P's chest tube.  He said it was still draining too much, that he wasn't sure if it would be able to be taken out tomorrow.  I knew that was a possibility, so it didn't come as much of a surprise.  I was still happy to hear that it was still slowing down.  We chatted about cycling for a bit and wished him well.  I sure do love that man.  He really will be part of our family forever.

Some other highlights of the day have been:
= Nellie discovering her glowing toe
- Making Nellie laugh, while dancing around her crib
- Being more comfortable with picking Nellie up
- Nellie eating perfectly and getting back on her old routine
- Feeding Nellie bananas for the first time
- Snapping a picture of Nellie looking at me through the bars of her crib

(if you look really close, you can see P's tiny eye)

The more I am in the hospital, the more I recognize the special spirit that is in each room.  I can look back on the different times I have been in and out of the hospital, visiting others and I can remember how good it felt to be there.  As much as it has been hard to be here, I am grateful for the comfort I have felt while being here.  There has been an overwhelming outpouring of love we have felt on a daily basis and a closeness to the spirit.  I have really been able to recognize the hand of the Lord through this experience.

  I received a couple of great quotes from Tyson's cousin Katie, that really helped me out today.  This one especially touched me.

"There are few things more powerful than the prayers of a righteous mother."
-Boyd K. Packer

Being here in the hospital has really put things into perspective.  There are so many people here that are watching their loved ones and children struggle.  I was talking to one of the nurses the other day and she was telling me, how some of the kids here can easily stay up to a year.  I honestly couldn't image the strength that they and their parents must have.  

Our window is right by the landing pad of the life flight helicopter.  My heart goes out to each child and their parents, every time it lands.  This experience has really helped me realized the little things that I take for granted.  I miss squeezing my baby, carrying her on my hip and standing her up on my legs.  I miss taking a bath with her and getting her dressed in real clothes every morning.  I miss my comfy bed and my puppy.  In the end missing all of these things, will make me appreciate them so much more.  We have one week down and five more to go, until I can pick Penelope up from under her arm pits and believe me I am already counting down the days.

Here's to hoping for a great day tomorrow!
 photo signature_zpsc2e4f28b.png

No comments:

Post a Comment