Saturday, July 11

In The Clear

A few days ago our sweet P had her second annual heart checkup.  Most days I forget all that our little girl went through, but every once in awhile, I will get a glimpse of her tiny scar and I am instantly reminded of the incredible gift of modern medicine and life itself.  I just can't even image what this life would be like, without my little buddy.  She is strong, brave, determined and bursting with personality.

She is old enough now to notice her scar.  It's pretty adorable, how she will point to it and say baby heart and while she doesn't fully understand the extensiveness of her surgery, she knows her heart is all better now.  I still can't believe how minimal her scarring is, but love the reminder of her strength and purpose on this earth.

I have a picture of P with her heart surgeon Dr. MacDonald hanging on one of our walls.  P will point to it every once in awhile and then to her heart.  I love that she recognizes him and I know that she has a special place in her heart for him.

Her appointment went perfect.  I asked one of the nurses if Dr. MacDonald was in surgery, or if he was in the office that day.  She said she would look around for him.  I didn't think that I would ever see him again, seeing as we only meet with the cardiologist at these appointments.  Much to my surprise, I heard a knock on our door and in walked Dr. MacDonald.  I instantly gave him a huge hug and a stream of emotions, shot through me just like the last time I embraced him.  
P was a little scared of him at first, but warmed up rather quickly.  She kept smiling and looking up at him, with her scrunched nose.  She gave him a big hug and I about fell on the floor.  It was too sweet. We chatted for a little bit and he told me that every time he puts on the pair of cycling socks we got him, he thinks of Penelope.  I love that he remembers his patients and makes you feel like you are his favorite.

P had to get an echo the day of her appointment.  I always worry if she will hold still and if they will be able to see what they need to.  She held perfectly still and everything checked out great.  We will come back next year for one more echo and then hopefully will only have to come back every two years.  Her cardiologist said that they may have to do an MRI when she is eight, just to make sure the blood flow is running smoothly through her left pulmonary artery.  He said will cross that bridge, when it comes.  As long as she is running and able to keep up with other kids, he said he has no concerns.  I told him how much P loves being active.  She's a champion swimmer, dancer, rough houser and my gym goer.  

As we were walking to our car, Dr. MacDonald came out of the hospital and caught up to us. He said that he was informed everything looked great.  I found it so touching that he would take the time to come out to us, just to give us one last confirmation that everything looked great.  He truly is a remarkable man.  I knew the moment I met him that something was very special about him and trusted his hands, with my daughters life.

I couldn't be happier that all is well and that I got a few updated pics of P with her hero.

HERE is a link to P's heart surgery journey if interested......
 photo signature_zpsc2e4f28b.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS